Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Day in Times Gone By

From the encampment behind Boone Hall...
men in uniform marched preparing for the reenactment battle later in the day.
(a replica model of the Hunley is in the background)
It appeared early on that the day may have already gone to the dogs:)!
A ladies tea was hosted down at the cotton dock with ladies wearing their finest frocks.
Once the tea was over the activity on the dock increased.
This gentleman was relaxing before the battle that lay ahead...
while this young man searched for pearls amongst the oyster beds.
I found this handsome gentleman sitting on the dock by the bay:).
I contemplated how to approach him:).
Meanwhile others began to shade themselves from the midday heat beneath the coolness of the ancient oak trees.
Hubby gave me a lovely antique silver locket to grace my dress.
While some gathered beneath trees others were shopping!
Lovely ladies on their way to the next sutler's tent.
But the loveliness of the gardens beckons.
I rested on the bench taking in all of the beauty surrounding me.
Hubby and I wandered to the water's edge where a 600 year old oak tree towered above us.
As darkness began to envelope the day we realized it was time to prepare for the ball later that night.
And so the sun began it's descent bringing a close to a beautiful day of blue skies and past times.
Come back tomorrow for the Ball down at the Cotton Dock!
Bring your dancing shoes:).

8 comments:

The Sweetbrier Cottage said...

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a most outstanding and enjoyable post! How wonderful you and Darryl looked dressed in your period clothing. I love Darryl's beard - it really makes him look as a man of the times. And you as well, the dress is gorgeous!!!

Can't wait for the remaining photos!

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

You and your husband could not look more becomming in your period clothing...you are SO tiny. ~
I SO LOVE the BEAUTIFUL antique locket he gave you for your dress..how thoughtful of him.

Rose
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Opps... I meant
~~becoming ~~...And your dress is perfect...did you make it ?? ~
The other ladies and gentlemen looked very much the part as well..you can really "transform" our current Era into a Civil War Era.
It takes dedication on everyone's part doesn't it ?
Rose
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Kim-

Your new period locket is amazingly beautiful, as are you and your husband. Gorgeous photos! How nice to be able to share such a hobby together. It must take up a lot of room storing all your beautiful gowns!

I can't wait for the next installment!

-Pam

Deanna said...

Dear Kim,
WoW!
This is such a neat post. Glad you've shared.
This is a wonderful experience you have experienced of a Day in Times Gone By!
Looking forward to seeing pics,
d

Anonymous said...

I remember when they raised the Hunley. It was amazing!!
Just love all the period clothing! I absolutely love reading about this era....
Have a Great Day!
Love,
MArilyn

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Wow this is such a fairytale. I think that I was born in the wrong era as I would love love LOVE to be dressed so beautiful and elegant. You are so lucky to have a chance at that...even if it is only from time to time.
I'm just getting my head cleared from Silver Bella and now I'm realizing that you DID have fun without me...lots of it! ;)
everything vintage

Elizabeth Bradley said...

How beautiful. Looks like you are having the time of your life.