Temper your tea pot by pouring hot water in it and then pouring it out through the spout.
- Put 5 level teaspoons of loose tea leaves into the tea strainer (I use a tea sock)
- Place tea strainer into tempered tea pot
- Pour boiling water into pot through tea strainer and let steep for 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you like your tea (I usually steep for 4 minutes).
- Remove tea strainer with leaves and enjoy your tea!
For Decaf Tea (yes, you can decaf your tea:)
- Temper the tea pot
- Put 5 level teaspoons of tea leaves into tea strainer
- Boil double the amount of water (enough for two pots).
- Pour boiling water into tea pot through strainer and let sit for about 30 seconds.
- Remove tea strainer with leaves and dump the water from the pot.
- Put the strainer with leaves back in the tea pot and pour the remainig hot water into the tea pot through the strainer with tea leaves and steep for 5 minutes.
The caffeine goes out in the first wash:)
Brewing Loose Leaf Green or White Tea
For Green or White teas follow the first set of instructions BUT let the boiling water sit for about 2 minutes before pouring over the tea leaves. Once it has cooled for two minutes pour the hot water into the teapot through the strainer and tea leaves and steep for 3 minutes. Boiling water tends to make green or white tea leaves bitter.
My favorite teas are from Harney & Sons (http://www.harney.com/). They have a wonderful webiste with an incredible selection of teas. My favorites are Vanilla, Paris, Mango, Appricot, Earl Grey Supreme, and Darjeeling.