Monday, June 29, 2009

Possibilities

I am home and must say that I MISSED you all very much. As I lay awake last night this post came to me so bear with me as I share some pictures and a story:).
I realize that I have shared the picture of the 'Loaves and Fish' patio that I built a few weeks ago but it's part of the story:). I built this one afternoon with some leftover supplies. I used crushed gravel to fill in between the pavers. With only four buckets left from a previous project I began to empty the gravel onto the patio when I realized that there was not nearly enough to finish the project. Disappointed, I realized I would have to call hubby to bring some more home after work. But I had another thought. I asked God to please give me just enough gravel to finish the project (I realize that this is an unimportant project in the grand scheme of things but I talk to God all day anyway so it just seemed natural to ask for help:). It was really amazing as I continued to spread the gravel-there seemed to be more and more of it. Once finished, the pavers were filled and I shoveled enough gravel to fill half a bucket! It reminded me so much of the 'loaves and fish' parable that I now call the patio the 'loaves and fish' patio. Faith in all things carries you a long way. The patio is an insiginificant part of life but it goes to show that God is there in all circumstances.
But then...
The true circumstances of life become all too real.

Fractured skull, cracked bone in the neck, removal of the spleen, fractured pelvis, broken bones in the back, ER, airlifted to another hospital, drug induced coma, serious but stable...
these were the words that welcomed me home as my mother-in-law and her fiancee had been in a horrific car accident Friday night. The injuries were not 'life threatening' but serious none-the-less.
Mother-in-law was in the hospital with injuries to pelvis and back while her fiancee had been airlifted to another hospital where emergency surgery removed his spleen and a drug induced coma would keep him confortable. As of Saturday morning the fractured skull and crack to his neck were a concern and surgeries were predicted for both he and my mother-in-law.
Prayers began.
By Sunday morning surgery was no longer an option for mother-in-law-PT would be pursued instead. Fiancee (a fabulous wonderful man that we adore) was taken off of life support and neck surgery was no longer being considered. A neck brace for several weeks would be the treatment. He was talking and asking about mother-in-law.
But then...
By Sunday night, his neck brace was removed-he was doing very well.
The power of prayer. The power of faith. Two people in a horrible accident with very significant injuries healing and getting stronger before our very eyes! Although there will be a long recovery and a good deal of therapy both are recovering nicely. The possibilities through God are endless! Prayer in all things makes a difference!
And so I leave you with this Bible passage,
"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26, NIV

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful story. I loved them both. Will lift up some prayers for all. I am like you, I pray all day and wouldn't think twice about praying for enough gravel. Blessings
QMM

Unknown said...

I, too, believe in the power of prayer! I am relieved to hear that surgery wasn't necessary and that they are healing quite well!
I believe you about the fishes and loaves patio! I pray about big and small things and never cease to be amazed at the Good Lord's daily miracles in my life! THank you for sharing that! :)

crochet lady said...

I am thankful that God is not ruled by our laws of time and space. The God who created the universe and all the wonders of the unknown also created the tiniest parts of an atom. He holds it all together. He is a God of wonders and I am thankful that he is powerful through it all whether we think something is 'big' or 'small'.

Lynnae said...

Beautiful post. I wonder how people get along who don't know God is there and he hears and aswers prayers.

Draffin Bears said...

Lovely post Kim.
First I am sorry to hear about the accident and wishing a good recovery and my prayers are with your family.

Loved the story of your loaves and fishes patio and how neat that this little miracle happened for you.

Hugs
Carolyn

Deanna said...

Your patio is really cute and you did a super job! Love it that you prayed and had great results.

Very sorry about the accident. Your sharing this story is a wonderful testimony of the power of prayer and faith.

Kim, thank you for sharing.
God Bless,
~Deanna~

Dirgesinger said...

I will pray for them and hope they get well soon.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Oh Kim,
The news of your Mother-in-law and her fiancee must have been a shocking end to the wonderful weekend spent with your family...I'm so sorry to hear that BUT I am delighted they were blessed by God's miracles, thanks to the power of prayer! You are so right girl...He does listen!
And as for your "loaves & fish" patio, it's beautiful.
Fix some tea, I'm coming over!
everything vintage

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Inspiring post. Have a peaceful but joyful Fourth of July.

June said...

Hi Kim, what a great post on prayer. I too talk to God all day and pray over almost everything I do. I'm glad to hear that others do as well. It gets me through my days and helps me to be more aware of every blessing that the Lord gives me in my life. I love your 'loaves and fishes' patio. That makes it all the more special. My prayers are withyu and your family in this time of healing. I am so relieved that they are expected to make full recoveries.
Smiles,
June

lorhen82 said...

Kim, both of these stories are a wonderful example of how God cares not just about the major things in our lives, but the small things as well. Isn't it amazing that he can watch every single little detail of every single person's life...all at the same time? What a magnificent God he is! Thanks for sharing...will pray for your MIL and her fiance. As always...beautiful flowers too!

Sandi said...

Oh my goodness Kim!! What amazing stories. I just love hearing about God working in people's lives. I LOVE the name of your patio! Isn't it wonderful how God comes to our aid time and time again. Prayers going up for your mother-in-law and fiance'.
Blessings~